Document Type : Original Research Article
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, Tuberculosis and Lung Disease Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, Tuberculosis and Lung Disease Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
This study compared cefazolin with second-line antibiotics to assess the prevalence of SSIs within 90 days after joint replacement surgery and interoperative HSRs among patients with a diagnosis of penicillin or cephalosporin allergy.
Demographics, comorbidities, immunomodulatory medications, allergy history, perioperative medications, and laboratory test results were all collected from the electronic health record. Patients who underwent multiple joint replacements in various procedures were counted as separate encounters. Joint replacements on both sides carried out during the same procedure were counted as one encounter. Based on the symptoms that were reported, beta-lactam allergic reaction histories were divided into immediate, delayed, and undetermined categories. There were descriptions of anaphylaxis, respiratory distress, cardiovascular symptoms, edema, and hives among the immediate allergic reactions. Delayed allergic reactions were described as pruritis, nephritis, hepatitis, and blood cell dysfunction (neutropenia, thrombocytopenia), among other dermatological findings and conditions. The causes of all other allergic reactions were labeled as unknown.
The average time from surgery to SSI was 24 days in the cefazolin group and 21 days in the clindamycin and/or vancomycin group. There were fewer superficial incisional infections (0.7% vs 1.9%) and prosthetic joint infections (0.1% vs 1.9%) in the cefazolin group.According to our research, using cefazolin as a perioperative antibiotic for infection prevention during total joint arthroplasty in patients who have been diagnosed as being allergic to beta-lactams is associated with fewer postoperative SSIs without raising interoperative HSRs.
- Nabiuni M, Hatam J, Milanifard M, Seidkhani E, Jahanbakhshi A. Investigation of Types of Neuropathies in the Brain and Nerves, Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research; 2023 Jun 16; 2(5):1-5. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.8047104
- Gol MK, Dorosti A, Montazer M. Design and psychometrics cultural competence questionnaire for health promotion of Iranian nurses, Journal of education and health promotion; 2019; 8. https://doi.org/10.4103%2Fjehp.jehp_367_18
- Otaghvar HA, Mahdigholizad S, Kalkhoran MK, Motamedi T, Jafarian AA, Salehi R, Motamedi MJ. Investigating the Results of Amniocentesis in the Operating Room on Children's Acute Second Degree Burn Wounds in Patients Referred to Shahid Motahari Hospital in Tehran in 2021-2022, Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research; 2023 Jun 16; 2(5):32-44. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.8047614
- Gol MK, Payami S, Lotfi A. Study of the Effect of Ear Acupressure on Stress and Serum Cortisol Level Before Rhinoplasty Surgery: A Randomized Clinical Trial, Crescent Journal of Medical & Biological Sciences; 2020 Apr 1; 7(2).
- Biz C, de Iudicibus G, Belluzzi E, Dalmau-Pastor M, Bragazzi NL, Funes M, Parise GM, Ruggieri P. Prevalence of chronic pain syndrome in patients who have undergone hallux valgus percutaneous surgery: a comparison of sciatic-femoral and ankle regional ultrasound-guided nerve blocks, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders; 2021 Dec; 22(1):1-5. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-021-04911-4
- BH PP, Diskina D, Lin HM, Vulcano E, Lai YH. Use of tranexamic acid does not influence perioperative outcomes in ambulatory foot and ankle surgery—a prospective triple blinded randomized controlled trial, International Orthopaedics; 2021 Sep; 45:2277-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-021-05131-0
- Salgado-Peralvo AO, Peña-Cardelles JF, Kewalramani N, Garcia-Sanchez A, Mateos-Moreno MV, Velasco-Ortega E, Ortiz-García I, Jiménez-Guerra Á, Végh D, Pedrinaci I, Monsalve-Guil L. Is antibiotic prophylaxis necessary before dental implant procedures in patients with orthopaedic prostheses? a systematic review, Antibiotics; 2022 Jan 12; 11(1):93. https://doi.org/10.3390/antibiotics11010093
- Samaras D, Gougoulias N, Varitimidis S, Hantes M, Karachalios T, Malizos K, Dailiana Z. Midterm experience of Scarf osteotomy as a new technique in a General Orthopaedic Department, The Foot; 2019 Sep 1; 40:68-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foot.2019.04.002
- Biz C, Ruggieri P. Minimally invasive surgery: osteotomies for diabetic foot disease, Foot and Ankle Clinics; 2020 Sep 1; 25(3):441-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcl.2020.05.006
- MacDonald J, Zhang DA. Prolonged Use of a Continuous Peripheral Nerve Block Catheter for Analgesia after Pediatric Foot and Ankle Surgery, Case Reports in Anesthesiology; 2021 Dec 21; 2021. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/8026961
- Biz C, Crimì A, Fantoni I, Tagliapietra J, Ruggieri P. Functional and radiographic outcomes of minimally invasive intramedullary nail device (MIIND) for moderate to severe hallux valgus, Foot & Ankle International; 2021 Apr; 42(4):409-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/1071100720969676
- Jiang S, Zhang Y, Alsaikhan F, Jalil AT, Gol MK, Tarighatnia A. A meta-analysis review of the effect of Zn-doped synthetic polymer materials on bone regeneration, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology; 2022 Sep 9; 103792. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jddst.2022.103792
- Li T, Sun ZJ, Zhou Y, Sun WT, Wang PC, Cai XY, Liang JB, Dong JM, Zhou DP, Yu K, Wu MX. Perioperative protocol of ankle fracture and distal radius fracture based on enhanced recovery after surgery program: A multicenter prospective clinical controlled study, Pain Research and Management; 2022 Jun 7; 2022. https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/3458056
- Torrent J, Baduell A, Vega J, Malagelada F, Luna R, Rabat E. Open vs minimally invasive scarf osteotomy for hallux valgus correction: a randomized controlled trial, Foot & Ankle International; 2021 Aug; 42(8):982-93. https://doi.org/10.1177/10711007211003565
- Birmangi S. A Review of the Effect of Corona on the Human Brain–Short Review, Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research; 2022 Jul 1; 1(3):80-7. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7362267
- McKenzie JC, Rogero RG, Khawam S, McDonald EL, Nicholson K, Shakked RJ, Fuchs D, Raikin SM. Incidence and risk factors for pin site infection of exposed kirschner wires following elective forefoot surgery, Foot & Ankle International; 2019 Oct; 40(10):1154-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/1071100719855339
- McDonald EL, Daniel JN, Rogero RG, Shakked RJ, Nicholson K, Pedowitz DI, Raikin SM, Bilolikar V, Winters BS. How does perioperative ketorolac affect opioid consumption and pain management after ankle fracture surgery?, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research; 2020 Jan; 478(1):144. https://doi.org/10.1097%2FCORR.0000000000000978
- Shahidi N, Mahdavi F, Gol MK. Comparison of emotional intelligence, body image, and quality of life between rhinoplasty candidates and control group, Journal of Education and Health Promotion; 2020; 9. https://doi.org/10.4103%2Fjehp.jehp_569_19
- Sansone V, Maiorano E, Melato M, Martinelli N, Pascale V. Novel treatment for hallux rigidus using a temporary metal interpositional device, Foot and Ankle Surgery; 2020 Aug 1; 26(6):630-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fas.2019.08.001
- Alotaibi AM, Alghamdi EA, Nasser N, Alkhashlan AF, Almeftah ZM. The epidemiology and factors associated with surgical site infection among patients in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, IJMDC; 2020; 4:1390-6. https://dx.doi.org/10.24911/IJMDC.51-1594142811
- Halai MM, Richards M, Daniels TR. What’s New in Foot and Ankle Surgery, JBJS; 2021 May 19; 103(10):850-9. https://dx.doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.21.00146
- Musaei S. The Effect of Pregnancy on the Skin, Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research; 2022 Sep 8; 2(1):17-23. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7353400
- Mazzotti A, Viglione V, Gerardi S, Bonelli S, Zielli S, Geraci G, Faldini C. Post-operative management after total ankle arthroplasty: A systematic review of the literature, Foot and Ankle Surgery; 2022 Jul 1; 28(5):535-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fas.2021.05.013
- Mikhail CM, Markowitz J, Di Lenarda L, Guzman J, Vulcano E. Clinical and radiographic outcomes of percutaneous chevron-Akin osteotomies for the correction of hallux valgus deformity, Foot & Ankle International; 2022 Jan; 43(1):32-41.
- Rothwell M, Atkin L. The benefits and scope of practice of a podiatric surgeon within a local complex vascular multidisciplinary team foot clinic, Diabetic Foot; 2021; 24(4):2.
- Curran MG, Murphy EP, Murphy FM, Fenelon CG, Kearns SR. Functional capabilities after first metatarsal phalangeal joint arthrodesis using a locking plate and compression screw construct, The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery; 2022 Jan 1; 61(1):79-83. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jfas.2021.06.010
- Motamedi T, Otaghvar HA, Motamedi MJ. Investigating the Causes of Re-Laparotomy Surgery in the Field of Gastrointestinal Cancer in Patients Referred to Rasul Akram (PBUH) Educational and Therapeutic Complex During the Years 2011-2016, Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research; 2023 Jan 1; 2(1):37-46. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7860292
- Nazardani SZ, Nourizadeh Dehkordi S, Ghorbani A. A comprehensive evaluation of the Sports Physiotherapy curriculum, Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research; 2022 Aug 29; 2(1):10-6. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7353359
- Mirjalili H, Amani H, Ismaili A, Fard MM, Abdolrazaghnejad A. Evaluation of Drug Therapy in Non-Communicable Diseases; a Review Study, Journal of Medicinal and Chemical Sciences; 2022; 5(2):204-14. https://doi.org/10.26655/JMCHEMSCI.2022.2.8
- Sadati L, Askarkhah A, Hannani S, Moazamfard M, Abedinzade M, Alinejad PM, Saraf N, Arabkhazaei A, Arabkhazaei A. Assessment of staff performance in CSSD unit by 360 degree evaluation method, Asia Pacific Journal of Health Management; 2020 Dec; 15(4):71-7.
- Fathi A, Hashemi S, Tabatabaei SS, Mosharraf R, Atash R. Adhesion to Zirconia: An umbrella review, International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives; 2023 Jan 7; 103322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2023.103322
- Monirifard R, Abolhasani M, Tahani B, Fathi A, Choobdaran A. Relationship of personality traits and patient satisfaction with fixed implant prosthodontic treatments, Journal of Iranian Dental Association; 2019 Oct 10; 31(4):182-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.30699/jidai.31.4.182
- Ghasemi E, Fathi AH, Parvizinia S. Effect of three disinfectants on dimensional changes of different impression materials, Journal of Iranian Dental Association; 2019 Jul 10; 31(3):169-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.30699/jidai.31.3.169
- Alijani HQ, Fathi A, Amin HI, Lima Nobre MA, Akbarizadeh MR, Khatami M, Jalil AT, Naderifar M, Dehkordi FS, Shafiee A. Biosynthesis of core–shell α-Fe2O3@ Au nanotruffles and their biomedical applications, Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery; 2022 Nov 26; 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-022-03561-3
- Barakati T, Khodadadi R, Asadi P, Fathi A. Evaluate The Effect Of Various Titanium Abutment Modifications On The Behavior Of Peri-Implant Soft Tissue Healing, Inflammation, And Maintenance: A Systematic Review And Meta-Analysis, Turkish Online Journal of Qualitative Inquiry; 2021 Aug 1; 12(7).
- Aminian A, Fathi A, Gerami MH, Arsan M, Forutan Mirhosseini A, Seyed Mohammad T. Nanoparticles to overcome bacterial resistance in orthopedic and dental implants, Nanomedicine Research Journal; 2022 Apr 1; 7(2):107-23. https://doi.org/10.22034/nmrj.2022.02.001