Document Type : Review Article
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, Department of Orthopedics, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Introduction: Surgery with general anesthesia increases blood sugar in two ways, one is due to surgical stress and the other is the pharmacological effects of anesthetic drugs; On the other hand, the use of spinal anesthesia has positive effects such as reducing deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, etc. Based on the studies conducted on the blood sugar level 15 minutes before the operation and 25 and 50 minutes after the operation. The aim of this systematic review is to investigate these two anesthesia methods in patients undergoing orthopedic surgery.
Methodology: In this study, which was a systematic review and was conducted during 2022 based on the steps of the PRIZMA guidelines, databases that publish articles in the medical field were searched based on the objectives of this study; In this search, every article that was published in English and Farsi and had a good quality was included in this systematic review so that its contents could be used for the purposes of this study.
Results: No significant difference in the average blood sugar between spinal anesthesia and general anesthesia groups before surgery, after surgery, 30 minutes and 60 minutes after surgery and during recovery. The average blood sugar in this group decreased after surgery compared to before surgery.
Conclusion: Considering the importance of blood sugar regulation around the time of surgery, the current study found spinal anesthesia to be somewhat preferable to general anesthesia in controlling the patient's blood sugar.
- Haghdoost, S.M. Gol, M.K. The Necessity of Paying More Attention to the Neurological and Psychological Problems Caused by COVID-19 Pandemic during Pregnancy. International Journal of Women’s Health and Reproduction Sciences, 8(3) (2020) 243-44.
- Gol, M.K. Davoud, A. Checklist for Determining Severity of Pain and Type and Dosage of Analgesics Administered to Women s Patient Undergoing Breast Surgeries. International Journal of Women’s Health and Reproduction Sciences, 8(2) (2020) 227-31.
- Gol, M.K. Mobaraki-Asl, N. Ghavami, Z. Zharfi, M. Mehdinavaz Aghdam, A. Sexual violence against mastectomy women improved from breast cancer. The Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility, 22(5) (2019) 52-60.
- Abdollahi, M.H. Foruzan-Nia, K. Behjati, M. Bagheri, B. Khanbabayi-Gol, Dareshiri, S. Pishgahi, A. Zarezadeh, R. Lotfi-Naghsh, N. Lotfi-Naghsh, A. Naghavi-Behzad, M. The effect of preoperative intravenous paracetamol administration on postoperative fever in pediatrics cardiac surgery. Nigerian medical journal: journal of the Nigeria Medical Association, 55(5) (2014) 379.
- Nazari, B. Amani, L. Ghaderi, L. Gol, M.K. Effects of probiotics on prevalence of ventilator-associated pneumonia in multitrauma patients hospitalized in neurosurgical intensive care unit: a randomized clinical trial. Trauma Monthly, 25(6) (2020) 262-268.
- Eghdam-Zamiri, R. Gol, M.K. Effects of ginger capsule on treatment of nausea and vomiting in patients receiving cisplatin undergoing mastectomy: a randomized clinical trial. The Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility, 22(11) (2020) 15-21.
- Soleimanpour, H. Safari, S. Sanaie, S. Nazari, M. Alavian, S.M. Anesthetic considerations in patients undergoing bariatric surgery: A review article. Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, 7(4) (2017) e57568.
- Alvandfar, D. Anvari, H.M. Nazari, M. Frequency of deep vein thrombosis in women over 40 years old with breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy referred to tabriz chemotherapy clinics in 2018. Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility, 22(11) (2020) 8-14.
- Sahhaf, F. Nazari, M. Dorosti, A. Effect of eight weeks intermittent exercise training on oxidative stress indices in women with preterm labor after coronary artery bypass graft surgery (Cabg): Randomized clinical trial. Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility, 23(3) (2020) 1-8.
- Nurmeksela, A. Mikkonen, S. Kinnunen, J. Kvist, T. Relationships between nursing management, nurses’ job satisfaction, patient satisfaction, and medication errors at the unit Level: A correlational study. Research Square, 1 (1) (2020) 1-22.
- A.R. Ghahroudi, A.R. Rokn, A.R. Shamshiri, N. Samiei, Does timing of implant placement affect esthetic results in single-tooth implants? A cohort evaluation based on Mpes, Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, 32(7) (2020) 715-725
- Hosseini-Khalili, A.R. Thompson, J. Kehoe, A., Hopkinson, N.S. Khoshbaten, A. Soroush, M.R. Humphries, S.E. Montgomery, H. Ghanei, M. Angiotensin-converting enzyme genotype and late respiratory complications of mustard gas exposure. BMC Pulm Med. 8(1) (2008) 15.
- Shakiba, B. Torabi, N. Alimoradzadeh, R. Maghsoudi, R. Medical Workplace Civility Watch: An Attempt to Improve the Medical Training Culture, Journal of Iranian Medical Council, 5 (1) (2022) 227-228
- H. Birman, Investigation of the Effects of Covid-19 on Different Organs of the Body, Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research, 2 (1) (2023) 24-36
- Najafi, F. Kermansaravi, F. Gangoozehi, E. The Relationship between General Health and Quality of Work Life of Nurses Working in Zahedan Teaching Hospitals. Iranian Journal of Rehabilitation Research in Nursing, 4(2) (2018) 53-9.
- Jahandideh, A. Yarahmadi, S. Rajaieh, A.O. Shirazi, M. Milanifard, et al., Cone-beam computed tomography guidance in functional endoscopic sinus surgery: a retrospective cohort study, J Pharm Ree Int, 31(6) (2020) 1-7.
- Kalantari, H. Tabrizi, A.H.H. Foroohi, F. Determination of COVID-19 prevalence with regards to age range of patients referring to the hospitals located in western Tehran, Iran. Gene reports. 21 (2020) 100910.
- Mirjalili, H. Amani, A. Ismaili, M.M. Fard, A. Abdolrazaghnejad, Evaluation of Drug Therapy in Non-Communicable Diseases; a Review Study, Journal of Medicinal and Chemical Sciences, 5(2) (2022) 204-214.
- Tahernia, H. Esnaasharieh, F. Amani, H. Milanifard, M. Mirakhori, F. Diagnosis and Treatment of MS in Patients Suffering from Various Degrees of the Disease with a Clinical Approach: The Original Article, Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results, 13(1) (2022) 1908-1921
- Karampela, M. Dalamaga, Could Respiratory Fluoroquinolones, Levofloxacin and Moxifloxacin, prove to be Beneficial as an Adjunct Treatment in COVID-19? Archives of medical research. 51(7) (2020) 741-2.
- P. Montani, Vliet V.B. General physiology and pathophysiology of the renin-angiotensin system. Angiotensin Springer, (1) (2004) 3-29.
- Goyal, K. Chauhan, P. Chhikara, K. Gupta, P. Singh, M.P. Fear of COVID 2019: First suicidal case in India! Asian J of psychiatry (49(2020) 101989.
- Aminzadeh, The Frequency of Medication Errors and Factors Influencing the Lack of Reporting Medication Errors in Nursing at Teaching Hospital of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, 2012. J of Health, 6(2) (2015) 169-79.
- Barzideh, A. Choobineh, Tabatabaei S. Job stress dimensions and their relationship to general health status in nurses. Occupational Medicine, 4(3) (2012) 17-27.
- Mileski, M. Pannu, U. Payne, B. Sterling, E. McClay, R.The impact of nurse practitioners on hospitalizations and discharges from long-term nursing facilities: a systematic review. Healthcare, 8(2) (2020) 114-34.
- Borba, M.G.S. Val, F.F.A. Sampaio, V.S. Alexandre, M.A.A. Melo, G.C. Brito, M. Mourão, M.P.G. Brito-Sousa, J.D. Baía-da-Silva, D. Guerra, M.V.F. Hajjar, L.A. Effect of high vs low doses of chloroquine diphosphate as adjunctive therapy for patients hospitalized with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA network open. 3(4) (2020) e208857-e.
- Gadlage, M.J. Sparks, J.S. Beachboard, D.C. Cox, R.G. Doyle, J.D. Stobart, C.C. Denison, M.R. Murine hepatitis virus nonstructural protein 4 regulates virus-induced membrane modifications and replication complex function. J Virol, 84(1) (2010) 280-90.
- Alrabadi, N. Shawagfeh, S. Haddad, R. Mukattash, T. Abuhammad, S. Al-rabadi, D. Abu Farha, R. AlRabadi, S. Al-Faouri, I. Medication errors: a focus on nursing practice. J of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research, 12(1) (2021) 78-86.
- Zaimzadeh, N. Ziaie, S. Mohammadzadeh, N. Alizadeh Otaghvar, H. Mottaghi, A. Comparison of vitamin D dietary intake among four phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome and its association with serum androgenic components, Razi Journal of Medical Sciences, 25(2) (2018), 87-96.
- Zaimzadeh, N. Ziaie, S. Mohammadzadeh, N., Alizadeh Otaghvar, H. Mottaghi, A. The study of dietary intake of micronutrients in four phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome separately based on Rotterdam criteria, Razi Journal of Medical Sciences, 25(3) (2018) 59-68.
- Azizi Aram, S. Bashar poor, the role of rumination, emotion regulation and responsiveness to stress in predicting of Corona anxiety (COVID-19) among nurses. Quarterly J of Nursing Management, 9(3) (2020) 8-18.
- Maghsoodi, S. Hesabi, M. Monfared, A. General health and related factors in employed nurses in Medical-Educational Centers in Rasht. JHNM, 25(1) (2015) 63-72.
- Musaei, The Effect of Pregnancy on the Skin, Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research, 2(1) (2023) 17-23.
- TSH Abadi, et al., Depression, stress and anxiety of nurses in COVID-19 pandemic in Nohe-Dey Hospital in Torbat-e-Heydariyeh city, Iran. J of Military Med, 22(6) (2020) 526-33.
- Helmy, Y.A. Fawzy, M. Elaswad, A. Sobieh, A. Kenney, S.P. Shehata, A.A. The COVID-19 pandemic: a comprehensive review of taxonomy, genetics, epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment, and control. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 9(4) (2020) 1225.
- Malekpour-Dehkordi, M. Nourbakhsh, M. Shahidi, N. Sarraf, R. Sharifi. Silymarin diminishes oleic acid-induced lipid accumulation in HepG2 cells by modulating the expression of endoplasmic reticulum stress markers. Journal of Herbal Medicine, (33) (2022) 100565.