Document Type : Original Research Article
- Seyyed Yaghoob Seyyed Maasoumi 1
- Omid Sofalian 1
- ali asghari 1
- Mohammad Sedghi 1
- Mohammad-Reza Zanghi 2
1 Department of Agronomy and Plant Breeding, Faculty of Agriculture and National Resources, University of Mohaghegh Ardabili, Ardabil, Iran
2 Cotton Research Institue of Gorgan, Iran, Agricultural Research, Education and Extension Organization (AREEO), Gorgan, Iran
Cotton is an important fiber crop and used to produce fibers and oil. Evaluating morphologic traits of cotton is very important and can be used for the selection of better cultivars. This study was conducted in the Moghan Agricultural Research Station affiliated with the Ardabil Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Training Center, Iran. In this study, 35 cultivars of cotton were evaluated for fiber-and yield-related traits during two consecutive years. We found that fiber quality and seed cotton traits were significantly affected by plots and cultivars over two years. Among the cultivars, the highest number of the bolls, boll weight, first picking yield, total yield, fiber strength, fiber traction, and fiber percentage were 24.5 g, 6.30 g, 3454 kg/ha, 5431 kg/ha, 34.5 g/tex, 7.30%, and 45.80% observed in cultivar Shayan, while the second picking yield, earliness percentage, and fiber fineness were 2323.3 kg/ha, 73.5%, and 4.55 μg/in obtained in cultivars Varamin, Avangard, and Armaghan, respectively. Based on the ward’s cluster analysis, the cotton cultivars were grouped into three different clusters. The cultivars in Cluster 3 including Nazilli, No.228, No.200, B557, Armaghan, Golestan, and Shayan are superior in terms of their number of the boll, boll weight, earliness percentage, fiber percentage, fiber length, fiber fineness, fiber strength, fiber traction, and yield performance.
- Li, Q. Tian, X. Wang, B. Han, L. Liu, X. Kong, A. Si, J. Wang, Z. Lin and X. Zhang, Phenotypic plasticity and genetic variation of cotton yield and its related traits under water-limited conditions, The Crop Journal, (2020), In Press.
- Djaboutou, M. Sinha, S. Houedjissin, G. Cacai and C. Ahanhanzo, Variability and heritability of morphological traits in collection of cotton genotypes (Gossypium hirsutum L.) and their potential use for the selection, European Scientific Journal, 13 (2017) 385-395.
- Nazir, H. Z. Mahmood and T. M. Khan, Genetic variations in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) for yield and fiber quality traits, Horticulture International Journal, 4 (2020) 83-89.
- B. Kumbhar, M. J. Rind, M. I. Keerio and S. Memon, Combining ability estimates for yield and fiber quality parameters in Gossypium hirsutum L. hybrids, Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 12 (2016) 53-58.
- H. Bhatti, M. I. Yousaf, A. Ghani, M. Arshad, A. Shehzad, A. Mumtaz, M. U. Khalid, M. Z. Khalid, M. Z. Mushtaq and S. A. S. Shah, Assessment of genetic variability and traits association in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.), International Journal of Botany Studies, 5 (2020) 148-151.
- Khan, S. Fiaz, I. Bashir, S. Ali, M. Afzal, K. Kettener, N. Mahmood and M. Manzoor, Estimation of genetic effects controlling different plant traits in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) under clcuv epidemic condition, Cercetari Agronomice in Moldova, 50 (2017) 47-56.
- Raza, N. Khan, S. Khan, S. Gul, A. Latif, I. Hussain, J. Khan, S. Raza and M. Baloch, Genetic variability and correlation studies in f4 populations of upland cotton, Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 26 (2016) 1048-1055.
- Baloch, C. Kumar, W. Jatoi and I. Rind, Phenotypic correlation and regression analysis of yield and fibre traits in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.), Pakistan Journal of Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering and Veterinary Sciences, 30 (2014) 135-146.
- Rao and M. Gopinath, Association analysis of yield and fibre quality characters in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.), Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 7 (2013) 787-790.
- G. Abbas, A. Mahmood and Q. Ali, Genetic variability and correlation analysis for various yield traits of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.), Journal of Agricultural Research, 53 (2015) 481-491.
- Z. Ahsan, M. S. Majidano, H. Bhutto, A. W. Soomro, F. H. Panhwar, A. R. Channa and K. B. Sial, Genetic variability, coefficient of variance, heritability and genetic advance of some Gossypium hirsutum L. Accessions, Journal of Agricultural Science, 7 (2015) 147.
- Ai, Y. Liang, J. Wang, J. Zheng, Z. Gong, J. Guo, X. Li and Y. Qu, Genetic diversity and structure of elite cotton germplasm (Gossypium hirsutum L.) using genome-wide snp data, Genetica, 145 (2017) 409-416.
- L. Hinze, D. D. Fang, M. A. Gore, B. E. Scheffler, Z. Y. John, J. Frelichowski and R. G. Percy, Molecular characterization of the gossypium diversity reference set of the us national cotton germplasm collection, Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 128 (2015) 313-327.
- Zhengwen, W. Xingfen, L. Zhengwen, G. Qishen, Y. ZHANG, L. Zhikun, K. Huifeng, Y. Jun, W. Jinhua and W. Liqiang, Evaluation of the genetic diversity of fibre quality traits in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) inferred from phenotypic variations, Journal of Cotton Research, 2 (2019) 1-8.
- Huang, X. Nie, C. Shen, C. You, W. Li, W. Zhao, X. Zhang and Z. Lin, Population structure and genetic basis of the agronomic traits of upland cotton in china revealed by a genome‐wide association study using high‐density snp s, Plant Biotechnology Journal, 15 (2017) 1374-1386.
- Sun, X. Wang, Z. Liu, Q. Gu, Y. Zhang, Z. Li, H. Ke, J. Yang, J. Wu and L. Wu, Genome‐wide association study discovered genetic variation and candidate genes of fibre quality traits in Gossypium hirsutum L., Plant Biotechnology Journal, 15 (2017) 982-996.
- Amezrou, S. Gyawali, L. Belqadi, S. Chao, M. Arbaoui, S. Mamidi, S. Rehman, A. Sreedasyam and R. P. S. Verma, Molecular and phenotypic diversity of icarda spring barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) collection, Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, 65 (2018) 255-269.
- M. Rweyongeza, F. C. Yeh and N. K. Dhir, Genetic parameters for seasonal height and height growth curves of white spruce seedlings and their implications to early selection, Forest Ecology and Management, 187 (2004) 159-172.
- Dhamayanathi, S. Manickam and K. Rathinavel, Genetic variability studies in Gossypium barbadense L. genotypes for seed cotton yield and its yield components, Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 1 (2010) 961-965.
- G. Ribot, P. Silva and E. Acevedo, Morphological and physiological traits of assistance in the selection of high yielding varieties of durum wheat (Triticum turgidum L. spp. durum) for the rainfed mediterranean environments of central chile, American Journal of Plant Sciences, 3 (2012) 1809-1819.
- Ashokkumar and R. Ravikesavan, Morphological diversity and per se performance in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.), Journal of Agricultural Science, 3 (2011) 107.
- Gul, N. Khan, S. Batool, M. Baloch, M. Munir, M. Sajid, A. Khakwani, S. Ghaloo, Z. Soomro and S. Kazmi, Genotype by environment interaction and association of morpho-yield variables in upland cotton, Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 24 (2014) 262-271.
- A. Khan, N. U. Khan, F. Mohammad, M. Ahmad, I. A. Khan, Z. Bibi and I. U. Khan, Combining ability analysis in intraspecific f1 diallel cross of upland cotton, Pakistan Journal of Botany, 43 (2011) 1719-1723.
- Mushtaq, N. Khan, M. Fida, S. Khan, M. Iqbal, B. Zarina and S. Salma, Genetic potential and heritability studies for some polygenic traits in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.), Pakistan Journal of Botany, 43 (2011) 1713-1718.
- J. Baloch and Q. B. Baloch, Plant characters in relation to earliness in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum), Proceedings of the Pakistan Academy of Sciences, 41 (2004) 103-108.
- Batool, N. U. Khan, K. Makhdoom, Z. Bibi, G. Hassan, K. B. Marwat, F. Farhatullah, K. I. Raziuddin and I. Khan, Heritability and genetic potential of upland cotton genotypes for morpho-yield traits, Pakistan Journal of Botany, 42 (2010) 1057-1064.
- Dhivya, P. Amalabalu, R. Pushpa and D. Kavithamani, Variability, heritability and genetic advance in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.), African Journal of Plant Science, 8 (2014) 1-5.
- U. Khan, Diallel analysis of cotton leaf curl virus (clcuv) disease, earliness, yield and fiber traits under clcuv infestation in upland cotton, Australian Journal of Crop Science, 7 (2013) 1955.
- Bolek, H. Cokkizgin and A. Bardak, Combining ability and heterosis for fiber quality traits in cotton, Plant Breeding and Seed Science, 62 (2010) 3-16.
- Hussain, F. Azhar, M. Ali, S. Ahmad and K. Mahmood, Genetic studies of fiber quality characters in upland cotton, The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 20 (2010) 234-238.
- Shahzad, L. Xue, Q. Tingxiang, G. Liping, T. Huini, X. Zhang, W. Hailin, M. Zhang, B. ZHANG and Q. Xiuqin, Genetic analysis of yield and fiber quality traits in upland cotton (gossypium hirsutum L.) cultivated in different ecological regions of china, Journal of Cotton Research, 2 (2019) 14.
- Ahuja and L. Dhayal, Combining ability estimates for yield and fibre quality traits in 4× 13 line× tester crosses of Gossypium hirsutum, Euphytica, 153 (2007) 87-98.