Document Type : Original Research Article
Department of Chemistry, Quchan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Quchan, Iran
Epoxides are molecules with extensive usages in various products synthesis. They are capable of reacting with different nucleophiles and their potential in the ring-opening of epoxides adds to their importance as pioneers in the synthesis of organic compounds. In the present research, a green and easy method for the synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles as a catalyst has been expressed. Synthesized zinc oxide nanoparticles were characterized by UV-Vis spectroscopy, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The UV-Vis spectrum of the nanoparticles showed an absorption peak at 327 nm corresponding to the ZnO nanoparticles. X-ray diffraction analysis also showed a high degree of crystallinity of the synthesized nanoparticles with the hexagonal structure. Zinc oxide nanoparticles were studied as an effective catalyst for epoxide ring-opening. The reactions were done by aliphatic and aromatic amines and alcohols as a nucleophile at room temperature and under microwave conditions. The results of the reactions show that the presence of zinc oxide nanoparticles catalyzes the ring-opening of the epoxides well. The ZnO nanocatalyst leads to the synthesis of products with high efficiency and good regioselectivity in a short period of time.
- ZnO NPs were synthesized by the green method for the first time from violet flower Extract.
- Ring-opening of the epoxides was done by nucleophile by using ZnO nanoparticles.
- The results showed that zinc oxide nanoparticle is an effective catalyst in the ring-opening of epoxides.
- W. Robinson, R. Buckl,I. Mabbett, G. M. Grant, A. E. Graham, Mesoporous aluminosilicate promoted alcoholysis of epoxides. Tetrahedron letters, 48(2007)4723-4725.
- Dhakshinamoorthy, M. Alvaro, H. Garcia, Claisen–Schmidt Condensation Catalyzed by Metal‐Organic Frameworks. Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, 352(2010)711-717.
- Albarran-Preza, D. Corona-Becerril, E. Vigueras-Santiago, S. Hernandez-Lopez, Sweet polymers: Synthesis and characterization of xylitol-based deoxidized linseed oil resins. European Polymer Journal, 75(2016) 539-55.
- R. Pourali, S. Ghayeni, F. Afghahi, Efficient and Regioselective Ring-Opening of Epoxides with Alcohols and Sodium Azide by using Catalytic Amounts of GaCl3/Polyvinylpyrrolidone. Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, 34(2013) 1741-1744.
- Deshpande, A. Parulkar, R. Joshi, B. Diep, A. Kulkarni. , N. A. Brunelli, Epoxide ring opening with alcohols using heterogeneous Lewis acid catalysts: Regioselectivity and mechanism. Journal of catalysis, 370(2019)46-54
- Bhuyan, L. Saikia, D. K. Dutta, Modified montmorillonite clay catalyzed regioselective ring opening of epoxide with amines and alcohols under solvent free conditions. Applied Catalysis A: General, 487(2014) 195-201.
- Matloubi Moghaddam,H. Saeidian, Z. Mirjafary, M. Jebeli Javan, M. MoridiFarimani, M. Seiraﬁ,Convenient Synthesis of Chlorohydrins from Epoxides Using Zinc Oxide: Application to 5,6-Epoxysitosterol. Heteroatom Chemistry, 20(2009)157-163.
- Bonollo, D. Lanari, L. Vaccaro,Ring-Opening of Epoxides in Water. Eur J Org Chem, 2011(2 011) 2587–2598.
- Sachdeva, R. Saroj,ZnO Nanoparticles as an Efficient, Heterogeneous, Reusable, and Ecofriendly Catalyst for Four-Component One-Pot Green Synthesis of Pyranopyrazole Derivatives in Water. The Scientific World Journal, 2013(2013)680671.
- V. Kumar, H. S. B. Naik, D. Girija, B. V. Kumar, ZnO nanoparticle as catalyst for efficient green one-pot synthesis of coumarins through Knoevenagel condensation. Journal of Chemical Sciences, 123(2011) 615–621.
- Parulkar, A. P. Spanos, N. Deshpande, N. A. Brunelli, Synthesis and catalytic testing of Lewis acidic nano zeolite Beta for epoxide ring opening with alcohols. Applied Catalysis A: General, 577(2019) 28-34.
- Yao, J. Liu, C. Wang, Boronic acid-catalysed C-3 selective ring opening of 3, 4-epoxy alcohols with thiophenols and thiols. Organic & biomolecular chemistry, 17(2019) 1901-1905.
- M. Awwad, N. M. Salem, A green and facile approach for synthesis of magnetite nanoparticles. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2(6)(2012) 208-213.
- Ma'mani, A. Heydari, R. K. Shirood , Nano-hydroxyapatite microspheres as a biocompatible and recoverable catalyst for synthesis of carbon-phosphorous bond formation. Current Organic Chemistry, 13(2009)758-762.
- Azizi, M. B. Ahmad, F. Namvar, R. Mohamad, characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles using brown marine macro alga (Sargassum muticum) aqueous extract. Materials Letters, 116(2014) 275-277.
- Gomathi, P. V. Rajkumar, A. Prakasam, K. Ravichandran, Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Datura stramonium leaf extract and assessment of their antibacterial activity. Resource-Efficient Technologies, 3(3)(2017)280-284.
- Hamelian, K. Varmira, H. Veisi, Green synthesis and characterizations of gold nanoparticles using Thyme and survey cytotoxic effect, antibacterial and antioxidant potential. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology,184(2018) 71-79.
- Prakash, P. Gnanaprakasam, R. Emmanuel, S. Arokiyaraj, M. Saravanan, Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from leaf extract of (Mimusopselengi Linn. ) for enhanced antibacterial activity against multi drug resistant clinical isolates. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 108(2013) 255-259.
- Sirelkhatim, S. Mahmud, A. Seeni, N. H. M. Kaus,. L. C. Ann, S. K. M. Bakhori, H. Hasan, D. Mohamad, Review on Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles: Antibacterial Activity and Toxicity Mechanism. Nanomicro Lett, 7 (2015) 219–242.
- Kołodziejczak-Radzimska, T. Jesionowski, Zinc oxide—from synthesis to application: a review, Materials, 7(4) (2014) 2833-2881.
- Y. Bu, Rapid synthesis of ZnO nanostructures through microwave heating process. Ceramics International. 39(2013)1189-1194.
- M Haris, Y. Lare Y, M. Baneto, K. Napo, Effect of barium doping on the physical properties of zinc oxide nanoparticles elaborated via sonochemical synthesis method. Pramana, 87(1)(2016) 4.
- Naveed, A. Haq, A. Nadhman, I. Ullah, G. Mustafa, M. Yasinzai, I. Khan, Synthesis approaches of zinc oxide nanoparticles: the dilemma of ecotoxicity. Journal of Nanomaterials, 2017(2017) 14.
- Naseer, U. Aslam, B. Khalid, B. Chen, Green route to synthesize Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles using leaf extracts of Cassia fistula and Melia azadarach and their antibacterial potential. Scientific reports, 10 (2020) 9055.
- Modi, M. H. Fulekar,Green Synthesis of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles Using Garlic Skin Extract and Its Characterization. J Nanostruct, 10(2020) 20-27.
- L. Rao, N. Savithramma, Antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized by using stem extract of (SvensoniahyderobadensisWalp. ) Mold rare medicinal plant. Research in Biotechnology, 3(2012)41-47.
- Gupta, P. Srivastava, L. Bahadur, D. P. Amalnerkar,R. Chauhan, Comparison of physical and electrochemical properties of ZnO prepared via different surfactant-assisted precipitation routes. Applied Nanoscience,5(7)(2015) 787-794.
- Sangeetha, S. Rajeshwari, R. Venckatesh, Green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles by aloe barbadensis miller leaf extract: Structure and optical properties. Materials Research Bulletin, 46(12)(2011) 2560-2566.
- Sadatzadeh, F. R. Charati, R. Akbari, H. H. Moghaddam, Green biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles via aqueous extract of cottonseed. J. Mater. Environ. Sci, 9(2018). 2849-2853.
- Handore, S. Bhavsar, A. Horne, P. Chhattise, K. Mohite, J. Ambekar, V. Chabukswar, Novel green route of synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles by using natural biodegradable polymer and its application as a catalyst for oxidation of aldehydes, Journal of Macromolecular Science, 51 (2014) 941-947.
- Aldalbahi, S. Alterary, R. A. AbdullrahmanAlmoghim , M. A. Awad , N. S. Aldosari and et al, Greener Synthesis of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles:Characterization and Multifaceted Applications. Molecules, 25 (2020) 4198.
- Kumar, S. Gautam, Developing ZnO Nanoparticle embedded Antimicrobial Starch Biofilm for Food Packaging. arXiv preprint, 1909(2019) 05083.
- K. Rajendran, B. P. George, N. N. Houreld, H. Abrahamse,Synthesis of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles Using Rubusfairholmianus Root Extract and Their Activity againstPathogenic Bacteria. Molecules, 26(2021) 302.
- Ahmed, S. A. Chaudhry, S. Ikram, A review on biogenic synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles using plant extracts and microbes: a prospect towards green chemistry. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 166(2017) 272-284.
- Minha, A. Usman, K. Bushra. , Ch. Bin, Green route to synthesize Zinc oxide nanoparticles using leaf extracts of Cassia fistula and Melia azadarach and their antibacterial potential. Scientific Reports,10 (2020) 9055.
- Modi, M. H Fulekar,Green Synthesis of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles using Garlic skin extract and Its Characterization. J Nanostruct, 10 (2020) 20-27.
- Sheik, R. Mydeen,M. Kottaisamy,V. S. Vasantha,Biosynthesis of ZnO nanoparticles through extract from Prosopis juliflora plant leaf: Antibacterial activities and a new approach by rust-induced photocatalysis. Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, 24(5)(2020) 393-406.
- Mohseni, M. Bakavoli, A. Morsali, Theoretical and experimental studies on the regioselectivity of epoxide ring opening by nucleophiles in nitromethane without any catalyst: nucleophilic-chain attack mechanism. Progress in Reaction Kinetics and Mechanism, 39(1)(2014)89-102.
- Potrząsaj, M. Musiejuk, W. Chaładaj, M. Giedyk. D. Gryko, Cobalt Catalyst Determines Regioselectivity in Ring Opening of Epoxides with Aryl Halides. J. Am. Chem. Soc, 143(2021) 9368−9376.