Document Type : Original Research Article
Department of Chemistry, Khorramabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Khorramabad, Iran
Medicinal plants, plant extracts, and essential oils are critically important for the pharmaceutical, health, and food industries. Chemical analysis and identification of compounds of medicinal plants has drawn a great deal of attention. In May 2022, the samples of two aromatic species, borage (Anchusa italica Retz.) and marshmallow (Althaea officinalis L.), native to Dehloran in the south of Ilam province, western Iran, were collected. The medicinal plants were dried, and then pulverized. Their essential oils were extracted by using headspace-solid phase microextraction and their chemical compounds were identified by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC-MS). The functional groups of the plants were also identified by using Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy. Total antioxidant capacity was measured based on divalent iron reducing ability and by single electron transfer mechanism. The GC-MS results showed that A. italica contains 42 chemical compounds including trans-caryophyllene (13.26%), allospathulenol (11.27%), germacrene D (10.47%), bicyclogermacrene (9.77%), safranal (7.62%), δ-cadinene (6.42%), and α-pinene (4.38%) are α-copaene (3.96%) and β-myrcene (3.75%). A. officinalis also contains 39 chemical compounds such as tetradecane (22.54%), α-pinene (15.50%), hexadecane (10.46%), 2-hexenal (8.48%), dodecane (7.28%), β-Ionone (3.50%), and trans-geranylacetone (3.26%). After measurement of the wavelengths at 570 nm, the antioxidant property of A. officinalis was calculated at 1.2 mmol Fe2+/L and that of A. italica at 2.9 mmol Fe2+/L. Our results showed that the two studied medicinal plants have a wide range of chemical compounds such as phenols, flavonoids, alkaloids, polysaccharides, mucilage, and saponin with the potential antioxidant properties. Therefore, given the antioxidant properties of these plants, this research can be a starting point for the additional experiments regarding the use of essential oils and extracts of these two medicinal plants. Taken together, the potential of these two plants, as two important medicinal plants occurring in Iran, for use in traditional medicine, modern medicine, and industries can be promising with respect to their trade and cultivation, and can stimulate comprehensive research in their pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and medical applications in clinical pharmacy so that they would be introduced into the booming and popular market of medicines of natural origin.
- Anand, C.K. Tudu, S. Nandy, K. Sunita, V. Tripathi, G.J. Loake, A. Dey, J. Proćków, Ethnodermatological use of medicinal plants in India: From ayurvedic formulations to clinical perspectives–A review. J Ethnopharmacol., 10 (2022) 114744.
- D. Dinbiso, T.T. Fulasa, F.B. Deressa, Ethnoveterinary Practices of Medicinal Plants Used in Animal Health Management in the Dawuro Zone, Southern Ethiopia. Econ Botany., 76 (2022) 60-83.
- Acharjee, R. Kumar, N. Kumar, Role of plant biotechnology in enhancement of alkaloid production from cell culture system of Catharanthus roseus: A medicinal plant with potent anti-tumor properties. Ind Crops Prod., 1(2022) 114298.
- A. Trindade, F.C. Silva, B.J. Araújo, J.L. Silva, T.G. Araújo, C.R. Fürstenau, Medicinal plants with potential antihypertensive properties: emphasis on natural products from the Brazilian Cerrado. Hoehnea., 24 (2022) 49.
- L. Chen, H. Yu, H.M. Luo, Q. Wu, C.F. Li, A. Steinmetz. Conservation and sustainable use of medicinal plants: problems, progress, and prospects. Chin Med., 11 (2016) 37.
- H. Shahrajabian, W. Sun, Q. Cheng, The importance of flavonoids and phytochemicals of medicinal plants with antiviral activities. Mini Rev Org Chem., 19 (2022) 293-318.
- A. Mozafarian, Flora of Ilam province. Published: Tehran, Contemporary Farhang. 936 p (2008).
- E. Khomsi, H. Imtara, M. Kara, A. Hmamou, A. Assouguem, B. Bourkhiss, M. Tarayrah, M.N. AlZain, N.M. Alzamel, O. Noman, D. Hmouni, Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Properties of Total Polyphenols of Anchusa italica Retz. Molecules., 27 (2022) 416.
- Naveed, A.S. Pervaiz, S. Tariq, A. Khalil, Pharmacological activity of Althaea officinalis L. J Med Plants Res., 5 (2011) 5662-6.
- E. Al-Snafi. The pharmaceutical importance of Althaea officinalis and Althaea rosea: A review. Int J Pharm Tech Res., 5 (2013) 1387-5.
- Mahboubi, Marsh mallow (Althaea officinalis L.) and its potency in the treatment of cough. Complementary Med Res., 27 (2020) 174-83.
- Sadighara, S. Gharibi, A. Moghadam Jafari, G.R. Jahed Khaniki, S. Salari, The antioxdant and flavonoids contents of Althaea officinalis L. flowers based on their color. Avicenna J Phytomed., 2 (2012) 113-117.
- A. Bonaterra, K. Bronischewski, P. Hunold, H. Schwarzbach, E.U. Heinrich, C. Fink, H. Aziz-Kalbhenn, J. Müller, R. Kinscherf, Anti-inflammatory and Anti-oxidative Effects of Phytohustil® and Root Extract of Althaea officinalis L. on Macrophages in vitro. Front Pharmacol., 11 (2020) 290.
- Jafari-Sales, B. Jafari, J. Sayyahi, T. Zohoori-Bonab, Evaluation of antibacterial activity of ethanolic extract of malva neglecta and althaea officinalis l. On antibiotic-resistant strains of staphylococcus aureus. J Biol Today World., 4 (2015) 58-62.
- Valiei, A. Shafaghat, F. Salimi, Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the flower and root hexane extracts of Althaea officinalis in Northwest Iran. J Med Plants Res., 5 (2011) 6972-6976
- Liu, B. Hu, Y. Wang, F. Bao, H. Li, L. Chen, Chemical constituents of Anchusa italica Retz. and their protective effects on cardiomyocytes injured by hypoxia/reoxygenation. Phytochem Lett., 38 (2020) 155-60.
- K. Chen, Z.J. Xie, W. Dai, Q. Wang, A new oleanolic-type triterpene glycoside from Anchusa italica. Nat Prod Res., 31 (2017) 959–965.
- Kazemi, Essential oil composition of Anchusa italica from Iran. Chem Nat Comp., 49 (2013) 369-70.
- K. Chen, Z.J. Xie, W. Dai, Q. Wang, A new oleanolic-type triterpene glycoside from Anchusa italica. Natural Prod Res., 31 (2017) 959-65.
- C. Hu, Y. Liu, M.Z. Zheng, R.Y. Zhang, M.X. Li, F.Y. Bao, H. Li, L.X. Chen, Triterpenoids from Anchusa italica and their protective effects on hypoxia/reoxygenation induced cardiomyocytes injury. Bioorg Chem., 97 (2020) 103714.
- Rahimi-Madiseh, S. Nasiri-Boroujeni, Z. Lorigooini, M. Nazari, R. Sadeghian, M. Rafieian-Kopaei, H. Amini-Khoei, Anchusa italica Retz. Hydro-Alcoholic Extract through Attenuation of Oxidative Stress Exerts an Anticonvulsant Effect on the Pentylenetetrazole-Induced Seizure in Mice. Int J Epil., 7 (2021) 052-8.
- Taheri, E. Vatankhah, V. Jafarian, Methyl jasmonate improves physiological and biochemical responses of Anchusa italica under salinity stress. South Afr J Botany., 130 (2020) 375-82.
- Asghari, G.H. Naderi, N. Bashardoost, Z. Etminan, The study of antioxidant potential of chamaemelum nobile extract on liver cell of rats. J Herbal Drugs., 1 (2011) 69-76.
- Valko, C.J. Rhodes, J. Moncol, M. Izakovic, M. Mazur, Free radicals, metals and antioxidants in oxidative stress-induced cancer. Chemistry Biol.interact., 160 (2006) 1-40.
- Lord, J. Pawliszyn, Journal of Chromatography A.; 2000 (885) 153.
- Bahmani, M. Taherikalani, M. Khaksarian, S. Soroush, B. Ashrafi, R. Heydari, Phytochemical Profiles and Antibacterial Activities of Hydroalcoholic Extracts of Origanum vulgare and Hypericum perforatum and Carvacrol and Hypericin as a Promising Anti-Staphylococcus aureus. Mini Rev Med Chem., 19 (2019) 923-932.
- A. Oyedeji, A.J. Afolayan, Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of the essential oil isolated from South African Mentha longifolia (L.) subsp. capensis (Thunb.) Briq. J Essen Oil Res., 18 (2006) 57–59.
- Hassani Moghadam, A. Ghiasvand, M. Borzoi, M. Alborzi, B. Delfan, B. Ezzatpour, Investigation of volatile compounds in petals and vegetative body and chemical compounds of European borage seed oil extracted by Cpld press method. Found., 11 (2008) 73-65.
- Riyouf, M.A. Khalilzadeh, J. Ghenaat, Extraction and the study of quality and quantity essence component from some aromatic plant spices (Boraginaceae family) by GC and GC/MS methods. MSC, Thesis, analytic chemistry basic sciences collage Mazandaran University. (2005) 19-23.
- FHS Hussain, J Ahamad, PS. Osw, A Comprehensive Review on Pharmacognostical and Pharmacological Characters of Anchusa Azurea. Adv Med Dental Health Sci., 2 (2019): 33-37.
- Mahdi, S. Ali, S. Farshid, Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the flower and root hexane extracts of Althaea officinalis in Northwest Iran. J Med Plants Res., 5 (2011) 6972-6976.
- Alipour, K. Mahdavi, J. Mahmoudi, H. Ghelij-Nia, Investigation into the Effect of Environmental Conditions on the Quality and Quantity of Essential Oil of Stachys laxa. J Plant Res., 28 (2015) 561-572
- Omidbaig, Production and processing of medicinal plants. Astan Godesa Razavei Publication., 1 (2005) 346
- Baghaleian, H. Naghdi Badi. Volatile oil crops; their biology, biochemistry and production. Andarz Publication, (2000) 248.
- Hamad, O. Erol-Dayi, M. Pekmez, E. Onay- Ucar, N. Arda, Antioxidant and Cytotoxic Activities of Aphanes arvensis Extracts. Plant Food Human Nutr., 65 (2010) 44-49.
- Ozbek Yazici, I. Ozmen, U. Celikoglu, H. Ozcelik, H. Genc, In vitro antioxidant activities of extracts from some Nepeta species. Int. J. Health Nutr; 3 (2012) 8-12.
- H. Kadhum, A.H. Abd, A.M. Al-Shammari. HPLC analysis and chemical composition identification of isolated flavonoid fraction of Althaea officinalis from Iraq. Paper presented at the AIP Conference Proceedings., 2123 (2019) 10.1063/1.5116972
- Pokorny, Are natural antioxidants better and safer than synthetic antioxidant components? Euro J Lipid Sci Technol., 109 (2007) 629-642.
- C. Vining. Functions of secondary metabolites. Annual review of microbiology., 44 (1990) 395-427.
- Wojcik, I. Burzynska-Pedziwiatr, L.A. Wozniak, A review of natural and synthetic antioxidants important for health and longevity. Curr Med Chem., 17 (2010) 3262-3288.
- Zhang, K. Yuan, W.L. Zhou, Studies on the active components and antioxidant activities of the extracts of Mimosa pudica Linn. From southern China. Pharmacogn Mag., 7 (2011) 35-39.
- Vanzani, M. Rossetto, V. De Marco, Wild mediterranean plants as traditional food: a valuable source of antioxidants. J Food Sci., 76 (2011) 46-51.
- Bonilla, L. Atarés, A. Chiralt, M. Vargas, Recent patents on the use of antioxidant agents in food. Food Nutr Agric., 3 (2011) 123-132.
- Gorinstein, M. Cvikrova, I. Machackova, R. Haruenkit, Z. Zachwieja, E. Katrich, Characterization of antioxidant compounds in Jaffa sweeties and white grapefruits. Food Chem., 84 (2004) 503–510.
- Akhbari, Z. Aghajani, E. Karimi, A. Mazochi, Study of chemical compounds of essential oil and Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of oily compounds of menthe longifolia. Cell Mol Biol Let., 6 (2016) 44-9.
- Wettasinghe, F. Shahidi, Scavenging of reactive-oxygen species and DPPH free radical by extracts of borage and evening primrose meals. Food Chem., 70 (2000) 17-26.
- Mussavi, K. Asadollahi, F. Janbaz, E. Mansoori, N. Abbasi, The evaluation of red reflex sensitivity and specificity test among neonates in different conditions. Iran J Pediat., 24 (2014) 697-702.
- Solati, M. Karimi, M. Rafieian-Kopaei, N. Abbasi, S. Abbaszadeh, M. Bahmani, Phytotherapy for wound healing: The most important herbal plants in wound healing based on iranian ethnobotanical documents. Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry., 21 (2021) 500-519.
- Bahmani, A. Jalilian, I. Salimikia, S. Shahsavari, N. Abbasi, Phytochemical screening of two Ilam native plants Ziziphus nummularia (Burm.f.) Wight & Arn. And Ziziphus spina-christi (Mill.) Georgi using HS-SPME and GC-MS spectroscopy. Plant Science Toda., 7 (2020) 275-280.
- Abbasi, Z. Khalighi, Z. Eftekhari, M. Bahmani, Extraction and phytoanalysis of chemical compounds of Eucalyptus globulus leaf native to Dehloran, Ilam province, Iran by HS-SPME and GC-MS. Advances in Animal and Veterinary Sciences., 8 (2020) 647-652.
- Zhang, B. Mahdavi, M. Mohammadhosseini, E. Rezaei-Seresht, S. Paydarfard, M. Qorbani, M. Karimian, N. Abbasi, H. Ghaneialvar, E. Karimi, Green synthesis of NiO nanoparticles using Calendula officinalis extract: Chemical charactrization, antioxidant, cytotoxicity, and anti-esophageal carcinoma properties. Arab J Chem., 14 (2021) 103105
- Malekzadeh Kebria, I. Zangiabadi, T. Ghantabpour, M. Heydari. Stress Oxidative and Effect of Herbal Antioxidant in Animal Reproduction: Future and Perspective. Plant Biotechnol Persa., 3 (2021) 82-91.